RE: The Myth of Seven, Plus or Minus Two

Subject: RE: The Myth of Seven, Plus or Minus Two
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:47:03 -0500

"Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com> wrote on 12/03/2003 09:31:36 AM:
> Well said, Eric (see below) ..

Thank you very much. :) Nice to see my posts are getting out. I don't seem to
see them until hours after I've sent them....

> But if I'm scannning a list of 100 links on a page looking
> for the one
> that may serve my needs, how many do I have to keep in my short term
> memory as "ones I need to go back and click on" or as "the
> links I need to prioritize for my purposes"?

But that's a case of organisation and description. Not a question of how many.
Is Google wrong to present you with thousands of links? Should Google and other
search engines stop after 7+/-2? Of course not. They present all the information
relevant to the search and prioritise it by some means.

Indeed in your example how is the designer supposed to know which ones YOU want
to remember? You're no better off if the links are in ridiculous small groups of
7+/-2 add the twenty that interest you are spread all over the place. Or are you
supposed to artificially limit the number of links you're interested in to 7?

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com