RE: WORD and Symbols--N squared

Subject: RE: WORD and Symbols--N squared
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:45:35 -0500

Gary Robinson wrote:

> Type the 2.
> Highlight it.
> Click Format from the Menu bar.
> Click Font from the drop-down menu. The Font window opens.
> Click the Superscript check box.

If you have to import or cut'n'paste the text, this character might not
translate properly. (For example, em and en dashes don't always translate.)

I find it easier to use the Windows code for a superscript 2:
Hold down the ALT key while typing 0178 on the number pad. The character
appears when you release the ALT key (like so: N²).

I have a list of "Special Character Codes for Windows Fonts" posted on my
wall, but the ones I use most frequently are burned into my brain. As well,
these codes can be used in Windows applications that don't have a "special
character" option.

Tip: A non-breaking space is ALT-0160. This is handy for preventing breaks
between numbers and units in running text.

Other common characters:
ALT-0151: em dash (-)
ALT-0150: en dash (-)
ALT-0169: copyright symbol (©)
ALT-0174: registered trademark symbol (®)
ALT-0176: degree sign (°)
ALT-0181: mu (micro prefix) (µ)

... and my favourite:
ALT-0149: bullet (*) [ALT-007 in DOS :)]

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

Technical writers have a way with Word.