Re: Help! A positive phrase for "non-Web application"?

Subject: Re: Help! A positive phrase for "non-Web application"?
From: JX <techwrl-list-only -at- doitall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 05:59:22 -0500

>> I need a phrase that also counts this situation, since such an app will not
>> rely on HTML and HTML image tags.
>>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point, really? Why do you need to
> modify "application" at all?

I never said I required the word "application". I sought to refer to a class
of applications in a positive way, and I'm happy to do it without that word.
The general idea is...

Do this step A. Non-browser applications at this step must also do blah.
Do this step B.
do this step C.
Do this step D. Web applications at this step must also do blah blah.
do this step E
etc

I'm over simplifying, but that's the general idea.

I have to do it throughout one dense chapter, and I'd prefer to do it
with a "positive" phrase rather than a negative one ("non-___"). I may be
out of luck finding such a phrase.

> If I'm selling ducks, and some customers might get mallards, and others
> pekins, and some may get a plethora including mallards, pekins, rouens, and
> muskovys. A select few may also get some geese, but they don't quite fit the
> duck label. But, for the sake of simplicity, when refering to the delivery the
> client receives, we might just refer to "ducks" and not get down to the
> multi-colored vs. white, etc.
>
> So, unless you absolutely need to distinguish for some specific and urgent
> reason, call a duck a duck and an application an application.

For my situation to follow your duck metaphor, it would be...

I'm selling special duck-bill warmers to ducks. They are the SAME model for
mallards and non-mallards. However, for a nice tight duck-bill-fit, the
installation instruction are different for mallards and non-mallards in
certain steps in my long instruction book for the product.

Perhaps with ornithological taxonomic knowledge I could say something
better, but it looks like I'm stuck referring to "non-mallards" or "all
ducks except mallards" in the instructions. :-)

-- J (Some Day I'll Fly Away) X

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com