Re: revising a tw course

Subject: Re: revising a tw course
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:21:21 -0500

Joe Pellegrino wrote:

Gentles,

It's the end of another semester teaching tech writing, and I'm itching to revise my syllabus. I'm wondering what projects you think should be included in a beginning tech writing course. I'm afraid that my requirements, once pretty stringent, have become less so as software gets more sophisticated and students become more familiar with document design principles.

Here are the projects I currently require, each with its own strictures and guidelines:

1. a machine-readable resume
2. a cover letter
3. a personal web site
4. a group web site
5. a tri-fold brochure

[snip]

What do you think? I noticed that many students had time on their hands in class, and that makes me think that this workload is too light. Is this too much of a bunny course now? Is there another assignment I should include? Should I ditch any of these?

Umm, Joe? Which part of that is tech writing?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com