Tech Writing Course

Subject: Tech Writing Course
From: "Judy Ferril" <jaferril -at- mchsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:39:20 -0600

Hi Keith,

Hope this post is not too late as I receive the digest. Let me relay my
personal experience and hope it helps.

1. As with any course, there are good ones and bad ones. You need to address
your particular learning style as each course can also vary in the type of
presentation, feedback, grading, and course requirements. If you are new to
online learning, look at programs that provide an online demo.

2. I have no comment on option (a). I completed Professional Technical
Writing, Professional XML Authoring, Screen Design, and Professional
Business Writing through online-learning.com. They were/are(?) a Techwr-l
sponsor. I can highly recommend their instructors, especially Susan Bodnik
(the XML instructor). There was a lot of dialogue in the postings, group
interaction, and instructor response. They do now how to handle online
learning. I think my testimonial is still on their site. They seem to really
care about their students.

3. My writing experience is primarily the last five years and I took this
class for the same reason. It did not really help me professionally and I
feel this was due largely to the economic/job situation we all have dealt
with in the past few years. I know there are far more experienced and
degreed writers out there and they will usually get first crack at jobs
these days. I do not regret spending the money for the classes because they
strengthened my writing skills.

4. Marcom writing courses seem to be a dime a dozen. I took one that was
lousy in that there was slow instructor response and not much student
interaction (that is important to an online environment). So stay away from
Ed2Go. They need to overhaul their system and get back on track with student
feedback. It seems to be me Techwhr-l also has a sponsor involved in marcom
writing....check the site.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Good luck.

Judy Ferril
Positive Solutions, Inc.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com