RE: Published Author $$ - Naive

Subject: RE: Published Author $$ - Naive
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:40:36 -0500

I think it's going to be too varied. It would depend on who you're published
by, and a ton of other factors.

Why not write it, publish it, and let the dollar signs fall where they may?

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com

::: I don't know much about the world of publishing, but can
::: someone give me
::: some decent profit ranges for a first time author? Those
::: of you who
::: pursue publishing for fiction or non-fiction works for the
::: commercial
::: environment (to me, that is that I can walk in to a book
::: store and buy
::: or order the book), what type of profit is there. I am not
::: particularly
::: talking about magazine articles or recurring pieces of work.
:::
::: My current understanding is that it depends on the number of copies
::: printed and sold. Do publishers continue to print as long
::: as their is
::: decent demand? Does the author sign to receive X% of the
::: sales? Is there
::: money up front from the publisher, then X% of sales? If you sign a
::: contract with a publisher for X number of books, does
::: profit increase?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com