Re: Coping with offshoring - a modest proposal for tech writers

Subject: Re: Coping with offshoring - a modest proposal for tech writers
From: "Dave Whelan" <dwhelan -at- auracom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:07:34 -0400

No, I'm not prepared to work for peanuts, but I relocated to the
beautiful south shore of Nova Scotia as a lifestyle choice and now
have to make telecommuting work to eat. I have no option but to
compete with the world for the world's work so I offer to work for
peanuts for first-time clients on their first contract with me as a
practical introduction to my services and hope that the experience
convinces them to pay the going rate after that.
Scott's questions make the point nicely but this problem is only the
tip of the iceberg, at the moment there are only relatively few of us
facing the challenge, but globalization is happening so fast it's
frightening and all of us in the first world are going to have to come
to grips with sooner or later.
We will adapt, as we always do, and will find ways to meet the
challenge. I think I have some advantages over offshore workers and
can offer more added value; it remains to be seen if I am right: I'll
keep you posted.

Regards,
Dave Whelan
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

> At 4:58 PM -0400 12/16/03, Dave Whelan wrote:
> >You would think it would good business for a technical agency to
offer
> >a virtual tech pubs resource using telecommuting writers from
anywhere
> >they happen to reside, does anyone know any reason this wouldn't
work?
> >Regards,
> >Dave Whelan
> >Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
> >

> Perhaps because they perceive no added value when the remote worker
> is only a few miles away? Something romantic about being across an
> ocean?
>
> Are you willing to work for the same wages that they can get
offshore?

> Scott

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com