Re: phone interviews

Subject: Re: phone interviews
From: "John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:17:33 -0500

A word of advice on phone interviews. Sometimes, you don't
know who else is involved in the interview. I'll explain.

I was at a gig that when the manager was conducting a phone
interview for developers, three other developers from the
department were also on the line, but the person being
interviewed didn't know that. They didn't ask. Each of the
other three developers would be on line with their phone on
mute, but they were all tied in to the manager via Instant
Messenger. As the conversation was conducted between the
manager and the person being interviewed, the other
developers would submit feedback and questions in real time,
so in effect, the subject was being interviewed by four
people at the same time.

Is this right or wrong? Who knows. I do know that in one
instance, the person being interviewed asked if anyone else
was participating in the interview and they were told that
other developers were involved, but if they didn't ask, they
weren't told.

The good part was that a developer wasn't hired unless the
existing ones felt the person was a good match with everyone
else in the department.

Therefore, ask if anyone else is involved, including if you
believe you are on a speaker phone, ask if anyone else is
listening in or participating.

BTW...yesterday I accepted an offer for a position. The
kicker is that this is the first employee position I've
accepted in over 12 years. I had worked there before, about
three years ago, but as a contractor. What won me over was
the inclusion of $7,500 per year allowance for education and
training. I start the first Monday of January.

Dan Roberts...you'll never guess who it is with.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
writer[at]tdandw.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com