RE: Focus & Proc'd

Subject: RE: Focus & Proc'd
From: "Karen West" <klw -at- cyberscience -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:26:04 -0000

I wrote:
> > > I usually follow the guidelines in the Microsoft Manual of Style
but
> > > I've drawn a blank with these two, as has FOLDOC and Webopedia:
> > >
> > > focus - the window has focus, has regained focus
> > > proc'd - when the application has proc'd Command Mode
> > >
> > > Are these terms okay to use in user software documentation?

Bonnie Grant replied:

> > What is "proc'd"?

Programmers use proc as a verb, hence proc'ing, proc'd etc, which means
running another process from the current one, for example:

proc ":cli"

The above command (from 3GL software language Cyberscreen) runs a CLI
process from an existing application.

In the example I gave previously it was referring to starting an
application from another Windows application via the Tools menu.

Dan Goldstein added:

> It's what a guy gets from his doctor when he turns 40.

LOL.

> Seriously, Karen, I'm not going to ask for a show of hands
> but I'll bet that Bonnie and I aren't the only ones who've
> never heard of it. The oldest SME at my company says he
> hasn't heard it for so long he's forgotten what it meant. I
> would look for other words if I were you.

I'm not surprised. I come from a programming background so to me it
makes sense but I'm sure it won't to most of the users this
documentation is aimed at, which is for a Windows based report writer. I
think I'll go with active window instead of focus and change the proc'd
to runs. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Karen West
Technical Writer
Cyberscience UK
http://www.cyberscience.com