Got no Internet (was Webworks)

Subject: Got no Internet (was Webworks)
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:06:16 -0800 (PST)

"G. Abenhaim" <> wrote...

> Some of you have asked how come I dont have internet..Ok, I do have email
> that mostly goes through a web account I assume but our managers probably
> blocked it off since we can only use Outlook and not Yahoo or Hotamail or
> other email accounts.
> As for the internet, such as a browser as IE or Netscape or even Mozilla. We
> have an icon of IE on our PCs but it does not work once you click on it. So
> I assume they have blocked that off as well for employees not to "waste
> time" as someone mentioned during work hours. I do know that there has been
> employees in the past who have been caught on the net through a proxy list
> that was given to the VP and eventually got fired for that a few years ago
> so upper mgmt has decided (since Ive been here) to remove it for simple
> reasons of "working" and not "browsing" at work.

Sounds like a fun place to work.

Have you ever ASKED why you don't have Internet access. Do you know the
reasoning? It sounds like you're accepted this as the way things are.

It seems to me, that this little event is a perfect example of why you need
Internet access. A simple question, which could have been answered in 9
seconds on Google, blossomed into a multi-hour event. As a business person, I
would say you wasted a lot more time asking the seething mob of know-it-alls
here than just using the Internet. As such, Internet access would save you
time.

Just for reference, I've set up plenty of Internet monitoring/security systems.
My company sells awesome web surfing system (Netspective). The key to web
security is simple:

1. Make it very clear to employees that EVERYTHING they do (from work) on the
web is being monitored. (Please, do not tell me this is illegal, it isn't.)

2. Excessive personal use (<30 minutes per day) and/or inappropriate usage is
grounds for termination.

3. Blatantly useless things (chat, Kazaa, porn, hate-speech, etc.) are blocked.

People who violate the system get unceremoniously fired. Those that don't, work
smarter.

Maybe you could work on this issue with your captors, er employer, and find a
solution.

Andrew Plato

http://photos.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com