Re: Dictionary

Subject: Re: Dictionary
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:57:22 -0800

"John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com> wrote in message news:223116 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> > I have two things I want to throw into the pot on this
> > thread. First, I really did not know there were
> dictionary
> > "camps." If that is the case,
>
> Shoot...me either...I just thought 20 bucks was a good price
> for a dictionary almost as big as my first apartment in New
> York City.
>
> OTOH...this is the first desk-size paper dictionary I've
> ever owned. Until now, my dictionary was found at
> http://www.dictionary.com.

I got one of those dictionaries some years back. It can be pretty useful, if
for no other reason than it looks impressive on a bookshelf.

Rather than publishers, I want to know if a dictionary is descriptive or
prescriptive. I prefer descriptive; from what I know, they tend to be more
complete.

One quick dictionary test I use: I look up the f-word. If it's not there, I
know that the version has been bowdlerized--and who knows what other words
have been removed because of predelection or whim.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break
all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com