Re: phone interviews

Subject: Re: phone interviews
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:04:08 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:
> > Always ask first thing: "Is there anybody else listening to this
> > conversation?"
>
> Don't be surprised when the answer is "none of your business."

Translation: "Yes."

> Where did you get the idea that job interviews are fair? They aren't. Not
even
> a little bit. As the job candidate you are at a supreme disadvantage.

If you think you are at a disadvantage, you need to brush up your skills,
your self-esteem, or both.

> The purpose of an interview is to determine if a candidate is suitable for
the
> job and the team. Its a testing/evaluation process.

Interviews are *always* successful, even if you don't get the job. There is
lots of information to be gained about your market, about the company, or
just the opportunity to practice your pitch. If the interviewer is a weasel,
that's good information too. Add it to your database and remember it in the
future.

> If this bothers you or you find it unethical or evil, you're completely
free to
> start your own business and run it EXACTLY the way you feel a business
should
> be run.

You are also free to discuss business with your boss. Believe it or not
there are some people who want to be FTEs, but still reserve the right to
call a spade a spade. Even more incredibly, there are employers who value
this kind of honesty.

If everybody starts their own business today, the world will NOT be a better
place tomorrow. Time to retire this bit of rhetoric.

> Trust me, after you have wasted money...your own, hard earned money... on
> people who lie in their job interviews, you'll want to use every means in
your
> power to determine what a person is REALLY like before you hire them.

I don't believe this great myth about how much it costs to hire the wrong
person. All the articles about how much it costs seem to be sponsored by
recruiting firms. If it ends up costing more than two weeks pay, then the
employer is to blame for allowing a bad situation to continue.

Employers aren't shy about firing people these days. If the employee is not
performing, then it's the employer's responsibility to notice it and take
action. Or if they somehow manage to damage a client relationship, ask
yourself why you allowed a new probationary employee to have access to the
client.

Or if the employer is concerned about getting entangled with benefits, labor
laws, etc, why not just hire contractors instead of chasing dodgy FTEs?

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com