Re: WORD 2002

Subject: Re: WORD 2002
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:50:10 -0800 (PST)

Here's the part you probably already know: Click
"View > Header and Footer" and click "Format Page
Number." Make sure that "Continue From Previous
Section" is selected.

Here's something that I've found using Word 2002 for
close to a year now: it does weird and unnatural
things to headers and footers. When I open a file, I
can't count on the headers and footers being the same
as they were when I closed the file. Word 2002 keeps
changing them at whim. I've seen many cases of Word
changing the margins and tab settings on my headers
and footers for no apparent reason. I keep having a
problem with it insisting on continuing page numbering
from a previous section even when I specify restarting
the numbering after a section break.

I once used tables in the headers and footers to get
the desired alignments. It was common for me to open a
file and find that Word has changed the vertical
limits on the tables, so the content in the right-side
table cells was invisible because the table was wider
than the page. I had that problem so often I finally
had to give up altogether on tables in headers and
footers.

These problems don't happen every time. Sometimes the
headers and footers remain perfectly fine for weeks at
a time, and then change for no apparent reason. I had
a couple of cases where I had to create PDFs to send
to the printers. The Word documents had looked
perfectly fine when I closed them, so I started the
PDF maker function and let it run. When the PDFs were
finished, I found the headers and footers were screwed
up, so I had fix the Word files and then recreate the
PDFs all over again.

I recommend that if you can, you get rid of Word and
go to FrameMaker. It has its problems to be sure, but
at least it is stable.

Anyway, good luck and Merry Christmas.

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com