Re: Comment from a headhunting company

Subject: Re: Comment from a headhunting company
From: "John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:38:09 -0500

> In a sense, yes, a resume is a sales brochure, but my
friend was told
> to rewrite his resume in terms of what he can do for the
company. I
> have not seen any such advice before and I have never seen
such a
> resume.
> Resumes don't say, "I can do this for you and that for
you." They say,
> "This is what I have done."

I think this thought is being taken too literal. When I
interview someone, I also don't care what they did...I want
to know what they will do for me. This is demonstrated by
including benefits as part of the product's feature. For
example:

It does no good to say: "I developed a process for
submitting all documents in PostScript." My thought is "So?"

OTOH, put in the resume "I developed a process for
submitting all documents in PostScript, resulting in a 73%
reduction in labor while reducing the time to print from 3
days to 2 hours."

or how about:

"Documented application processes." So?

but maybe

"Documented application processes so that Capacity Planning
was able to incorporate Monitor Sensors into the processes,
thereby reducing bottlenecks in 87% of the processes and
increasing dataflow by 24%."

This tells me what you can do for me in that it tells me
that your approach is to look at existing processes and try
to make them more efficient.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
writer[at]tdandw.com