RE: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: RE: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:55:02 -0800 (PST)

> One reason for the technical communication
> profession is that engineers,
> developers, and programmers have such a difficult
> time expressing themselves
> to the public that will hopefully purchase and use
> their products.

No, that's the cop-out of our profession. One thing
I've learned about technical writers is that we like
to justify our existence by basing a need on others'
shortcomings. What a wonderful picture you paint
there! (worse than "grammar Nazi"!!!)

> Language is
> the basic component of our profession; strip it away
> and we are not professionals at all.

No, language is certainly not the basic component.
It's the vehicle. MESSAGE is the core component of
what we do. How we deliver that message is slightly
secondary in importance, and language is merely one of
many vehicles. Imagery is another. I'll let you ponder
other vehicles on your own.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com