RE: Document Versions

Subject: RE: Document Versions
From: "SCHUTZ, ME" <me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:51:35 -0600

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Document Versions
From: Anagha -dot- Mulay -at- smartstream-stp -dot- com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:38:30 +0530

What version should the document have? Should the
document have the same version number, that is 4.2.

I am not very clear with the document version? What is general practice
followed by other organizations?

Thanks,
A Mulay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Anagha,

We do not tie the version number of the product to the documentation
part number. Often, there is more than one piece of documentation that
ships with a product, be it hardware or software. Also, many pieces of
documentation carry information about the scientific instrument and the
software required to run it. Hardware and software rev independently,
as needed to introduce new features and correct problems with a product.
To resolve the issue, we list the hardware model or software version on
the front cover and title page.

So, a Korean manual set for a metrology tool (for analyzing silicon
wafers to be used in semiconductor production) would look something
like this...
269-126400 ECO 3000 Metrology Tool Preparing Your Site for
Installation
269-126602 Uncrating an ECO 3000 Metrology Tool
269-126500 ECO 3000 Removing Shipping Restraints
269-143100 Metrology Tool Safety Guide
269-144800 ECO 3000 Metrology Tool User's Guide
269-129800 ECO 3000 Warranty
269-129900 ECO 3000 Declaration of Conformity
269-067703 ECO SECS Communications Software User's Guide, Ver.
1.2
269-101601 ECO Metrology Tool Software User's Guide, Ver. 6.0

While an English set for the same instrument would include:
269-144700 ECO 3000 Metrology Tool Preparing Your Site for
Installation
269-126602 Uncrating an ECO 3000 Metrology Tool
269-126500 ECO 3000 Removing Shipping Restraints
269-144601 Metrology Tool Safety Guide
269-144800 ECO 3000 Metrology Tool User's Guide
269-129800 ECO 3000 Warranty
269-129900 ECO 3000 Declaration of Conformity
269-067703 ECO SECS Communications Software User's Guide, Ver.
1.2
269-101601 ECO Metrology Tool Software User's Guide, Ver. 6.0

This allows documentation to be provided in a variety of languages, with
unique part numbers, and allows critical, periodic, language
availability, and model/software version updates. Granted, this opens a
whole can of worms and the cost of a new rev must be carefully weighed
against the reason a documentation uplevel has been requested. On the
whole, though, the system works very well here, as it did at the
computer company I worked for before this...

Hope that helps...
ME

Mary Ellen Schutz
Sr. Technical Writer
Translation Coordinator
Thermo Electron Corporation
5225-4 Verona Road
Madison, WI 53711
Phone: 608-276-6100 ext. 2339
Fax: 608-276-6328
E-mail: me -dot- schutz -at- thermo -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com