Re: TW and/or information designer?

Subject: Re: TW and/or information designer?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:03:09 -0800

Which brings me to the question the thesis will
examine ... where, in practice, does the technical writer stop and the
information designer begin? Or do they overlap?

I prefer to avoid the term "information designer" although I often do the sort of tasks that are sometimes associated with it. I find the term pretentious. More importantly, I want to avoid confusion; I've sometimes seen it used as a synonym for "information architect" to refer to someone who does such things as setting up databases, and I don't want anyone to think I'm claiming that skill set.

Of course, I've heard "information architect" used by the pretentious and ill-informed, too, but that's another story.

Personally, I just call myself a writer and a designer. It's simpler and less likely to be misunderstood.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"It wants a kiss like whisky
A breath of spring
It want a taste of freedom
It wants everything."
- OysterBand, "My Mouth"

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com