Re: Caring about good writing...

Subject: Re: Caring about good writing...
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:18:08 -0800

<lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com> wrote in message news:223901 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Lucero, Peggy A. NMIMC Contractor writes:
> 2. I know that most audiences want to know:
> -what the product does
> -how to install it
> -how to configure it
> -how to use it
> -how to respond to alarms and notifications
> -how to maintain it
> I therefore know what documents I have to write before a contract begins,
> and I know what these documents look like and what they contain, which
> ensures that I don't tell people how to clear alarms in the Product
> Description.

Well, most audiences (users) want to know things such as
- how they can get home to their families/spouses/dates/etc. quicker
- how they can do their jobs with less frustration
- how they can make their bosses happy (and maybe get a raise)

Users most emphatically do *not* "want" to know how to install, configure,
maintain, etc. software or other products. That we continue to require these
things of users simply perpetuates the belief that products, especially
computers and software, are difficult to use. That some continue to insist
that this is what users "want" allows poor design to be perpetuated.

It's not about caring about good writing. It's caring about satisfied (and
paying) users. Good writing simply comes with that territory.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break
all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com