Re: Compiling Manual in MS Word

Subject: Re: Compiling Manual in MS Word
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Jason Alan Smith <jsmith2156 -at- satx -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:00:47 -0800

Jason Alan Smith wrote:

Regarding the Master Document general feature, has anyone used the Open
Office's Writer application's Master Document feature? Does it function
better than the MS Word's implementation?

Funny you should ask that . . .

I've been using OpenOffice.org whenever possible for about twenty months now, and used the master document feature with reasonable frequency. In version 1.0, it crashed on me a few times, but never with any file corruption. However, ever since version 1.01 (version 1.1 is the current version), I've had no crashes whatsoever, and very few problems that couldn't be avoided by ensuring that the master document and the component files all use the same styles.

Incidentally, in many ways, the name is misleading; OpenOffice.org's master document feature is actually closer to FrameMaker's book files than to MS Word's master document feature. Using the Navigator, you can promote and demote chapter headings, and move them around, too.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Forget all the teeth that threaten to tear
Forget all the pains in your head
The meek and the weak shall inherit the earth
The savage and honest are dead."
- Bob Pegg, "All the Good Times"