Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Catherine Arthur <carthur000 -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:30:04 -0800

Quoting Catherine Arthur <carthur000 -at- sympatico -dot- ca>:

> I have seen an unfortunate situation where a technical writer come into a
> company, and the writer did not have FrameMaker experience. It was not
> required as the team felt, as many of you do, that it can be picked up quite
> easily. After a few months, the person was let go and another writer took
> over the document. The template was largely unused, text was formatted
> without styles, numbering was all hardcoded, as were all cross references.
> This took some time to clean up, with the document to be sent to the printer
> the next day.

From your description, the problem wasn't that the writer didn't have
FrameMaker experience. Rather, the writer didn't have professional knowledge of
word processing. If someone isn't using styles and is doing numbers manually
(which I suppose is what you mean by "hardcoded"), then he or she is going to
do just as badly in MS Word or WordPerfect.

Someone who could do professional word processing might not know exactly how
styles were set up or numbering was automated in FrameMaker. However, he or she
would have an idea that these tools were available and look for them.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177