Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:33:37 -0800 (PST)

Management learned the wrong lesson. That has less to
do with specific tool experience and more to do with
experience as a technical writer. A proficient
technical writer, who might have used Ventura and
Word, will get up to speed quickly with FrameMaker.

What you need to do is decide the level of experience
you require, offer a salary that matches, and only
thirdly worry about specific tool. IOW, am thinking a
novice was hired, probably for novice wages, maybe an
SME looking to switch careers ....

We have a similar thing going on at the office. We
gave a very proficient and educated SME the job of
authoring docs and online help to specs written by
some very solid and proficient management SMEs, and
the project was a disaster, simply because there was
no consideration whatsoever given to real authoring
experience guiding the effort.

--- Catherine Arthur <carthur000 -at- sympatico -dot- ca> wrote:
> I have seen an unfortunate situation where a
> technical writer come into a
> company, and the writer did not have FrameMaker
> experience. It was not
> required as the team felt, as many of you do, that
> it can be picked up quite
> easily. After a few months, the person was let go
> and another writer took
> over the document. The template was largely unused,
> text was formatted
> without styles, numbering was all hardcoded, as were
> all cross references.
> This took some time to clean up, with the document
> to be sent to the printer
> the next day.
>
> Since then, management wants proof that the writers
> can use the tools.

=====
T.