Re: Best technical writing of the season

Subject: Re: Best technical writing of the season
From: Cynthia Armistead <listmail -at- technomom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:21:06 -0500

At 07:36 AM 1/6/2004 -0500, Peter wrote:

>Edward D Thompson wrote:
>> I've often thought that -- if I were more mechanically inclined and
>> slightly more masochistic -- a great way to pick up extra money at X-mas
>> would be to assemble toys for parents prior to X-mas day. K-Nex are, of
>> course, designed to be built by the kid, but there are a lot of toys that
>> would benefit from some pre-assembly. :)
>

>The problem with that business plan is that most people won't pay extra
>for assembly.

I beg to differ. My partner has a consulting client who pays him to come plug in any computer equipment he buys - I'm talking about simply taking it out of the box and turning it on. He also gets an urgent call any time the guy's power blinks, to come reprogram the fax machine (client won't buy UPSs, but has spent several times the cost of a very nice one on such calls). While this fellow is an extreme, I've had similar clients in the past - including someone who called on Christmas eve and offered me lots of money to PLEASE come assemble the kids' toys (I refused).

Cyn

---
cyn -at- technomom -dot- com
http://www.technomom.com/