Re: PowerPoint is art

Subject: Re: PowerPoint is art
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:16:39 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

Peter wrote:

Hating PPT because it is misused is equivalent to hating pencil and paper because some people scribble with it. A PPT presentation can be entertaining and enjoyable, or it can be drab and uninteresting. I wonder if the reason some users have an aversion to RTFM can somehow be found in this thread.

I know you can create some interesting material in a slide presentation, and I can understand the challenge of doing so. However, if you're using PowerPoint, let's face it: you're struggling against the medium. It's just not the the first choice for doing elaborate multi-media presentations.

Agreed.
<snip a good comment>

The idea that PowerPoint can be used in elaborate ways is akin to saying that you can design a brochure in MS Word: yes, you can, but who would choose to if almost any other choice was available?

Creative is OK. Elaberate is not. All too often presenters confuse the two and subsitute elaborate for creative.

--
Peter

Sisyphus had it easy