RE: Best technical writing of the season

Subject: RE: Best technical writing of the season
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "DaveC" <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:31:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
>From: DaveC [mailto:peninsula -at- covad -dot- net]
>Subject: RE: Best technical writing of the season

>>A friend of mine has a side business of putting together train layouts
>>under the Christmas tree. He does about three clients and charges
>>anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 per layout.

>I presume this is one of NYC's big department store displays? Or just
>a well-to-do family in Silicon Valley?
-------------------------

Private citizens, when George first got into it, one of his customers
was the CEO of one of the largest retail clothing line chains in the
country. George lives in Westchester County, NY., new Greenwich
Conn...known to have more than its share of millionaires.

I continue this discussion on the list because I think it is appropriate
to our field. You would assume that a commodity like assembling a train
set would be comparable to the commodity of technical writing, as some
on the list have that we are.

However, just as someone can differentiate themselves to bring value, as
perceived by the buyer, to a train layout that justifies a $30,000
expenditure, I believe so can we justify ourselves by bringing value to
what we do.

So, the next time I hear that we, as technical writers, are not as
worthy to a corporation as any other position, I'll just think of my
friend George.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer