Re: OT offshoring

Subject: Re: OT offshoring
From: "Rick Bishop" <bishopr -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:36:37 -0600

I still have trouble forgetting a trip into Mexico in the early '70s to a big oil refinery. I was an hourly employee in a refinery in Houston at the time. I was doing quite well, a union member, decent wages ($5/hr), a nice house and car, air conditioning, electric lights, 40 hour weeks, health insurance that covered 95% of everything, paid vacations, etc.
The employees in Mexico were living in tin and clapboard shacks just outside the refinery gate with their sewage mixing with that of the plant in a concrete ditch. Only a few electric lights were in evidence, certainly no new pick-up trucks or washer/dryer combos.
The price of gasoline in the US then: $.30, in Mexico: $.60.
When all the borders are down, where will you live?
Rick

>>> Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> 01/07/04 01:23PM >>>

I admit it, I'm naive. I read this today about Levi's:

"I make $12 an hour," said Ann, who works in the refinishing plant. "The
people who'll be doing the work, they get paid $12 a week. They'll be
saving money . . . using out-of-the-country manufacturers..."

Now, why is it that it is so expensive to live in America? Why do we
need to make more than $12/week to live?

--
Michele

I got out of Babylon, but there was no Zion. No Promised Land.
www.krautgrrl.com