Re: Technical writing articles on weblog

Subject: Re: Technical writing articles on weblog
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:14:09 -0500

keith -at- soltys -dot- ca wrote:
> I'm just using the standard Blogger software, which as far as I can see
> doesn't offer that categorization feature.
>
> Can you recommend something else, preferably free?
>
> The other limitation is that my ISPs web server doesn't offer scripting so
> I can't do Perl, PHP, etc. (Unless I want to pay for it, and right now
> it's on a free service).

Get yourself over to http://1and1.com. They have a great deal now if you
sign up before 1/21 - three years free webhosting, with a real CGI bin,
Perl, Python, php, MySQL, ssh, and lots of other goodies. It's a real
webhosting account - not your usual ad-infested free homepage. I couldn't
find any gotchas - no credit card, nothing. I wouldn't run my business on
it, for fear of an eventual dot-com style meltdown, but for a personal site
or a development playground you can't beat it. 50 mailboxes, and some pretty
hefty bandwidth, too.

I needed to demo something remotely to a client, so I signed up and
installed netoffice all within the first couple of hours - no problem.

They use your phone number to verify your uniqueness (during the signup
process they call you with a PIN), so presumably you can grab a free account
for each phone number you have (I haven't tried this, though).

Then try out different kinds of bloggers until you find one you like.

Mike O.