RE: What level of censorship ...

Subject: RE: What level of censorship ...
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L' (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:48:49 -0500

Dan Hall wrote:

> I suggest it's more like an auto manufacturer installing a
> speed limiter to prevent your vehicle from exceeding the US
> maximum speed limit (70? mph). I'd also suggest that this is
> in the cards... They already have a "black box" in new
> vehicles that records the vehicles speed and other info. This
> is increasingly being used in crash investigations and
> introduced as evidence in related criminal cases.

U.S. auto manufacturers already do put limiters in their newer vehicles. My
partner's Pontiac has one set at 170 kph (a little over 105 mph), which is
70 kph over our highway speed limit. When the vehicle hits 170 kph, the
limiter forces the vehicle back down to 160 kph.

I should also add that high-end colour copiers have had warning labels about
copying currency, passports, driver's licenses and the like for several
years, at least in Canada.

Cheers ... Kim