Re: Em dash

Subject: Re: Em dash
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:19:47 -0700

Steve and John report very different results with Word help:

>Dunno....Using Word 2003, I typed
>"insert em dash" in the offline Help
>search box and got the answer on the
>first try.

Odd...I typed your exact string and I got 30 hits:

The first 5 were:

Automatically format hyphens as em dashes and en dashes
Insert a tab in outline
Insert a field
Insert another file into an open document
Insert a picture

Well, I'm stuck in Word2k, but I wonder if you all are following different
paths.

In my help window's left pane, if I select the Answer Wizard tab and query
on Steve's phrase ("insert em dash"), the first topic (which appears in the
right pane) is "Insert symbols and special characters," and the second item
under it, "Insert a special character," answers the question.

If, OTOH, I perform the same query on the Index tab, I get a much longer
(and less immediately helpful) list of topics. Lots of clearly unrelated
junk, like John.

So there may be multiple paths to enlightenment, but some are more direct
than others. And some send you off to wander in the weeds.

I refuse to turn on the Office Assistant to see what querying him/her/it
yields. ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs