Re: Agile software development and effect on techwriting

Subject: Re: Agile software development and effect on techwriting
From: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:17:22 -0700

>>And how is this is different from other software development theories? ;->

Right, exactly. ;> but there's the theory in "regular" doc that the program specs
are correct and the theory that the UI won't change and so you're expected to
write to those. If it's explicit that everything's up in the air then one has to
address reality more directly.

It sounds from the respondents who've worked on this that groups that adopt and
stick to Agile Development are actually simply really good to work with. TWs
adapt by taking notes on the info but not trying to shove it into Frame or
something with all the page breaks, right there at the beginning. And the Agile
folks really do invite the TWs along to the meetings.

I guess it all comes down to throwing out the Waterfall model of lockstep 1 2 3
and doing, and most importantly expecting, iterative stuff. Do only what you have
to. Accept reality and work with it instead of denying it. Guess I'm Waxing
Philosophical and getting a little excited but I'm more of an iterative person by
nature anyway so this seems kind of cool. If I ever go back to a Regular Job I'll
look for this.

Thanks for the info and personal experiences, y'all.

Solveig
solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com
"Tell Me About the Typos When the Software Works."

http://www.techwriterstuff.com
Products expressing the agony and ecstacy of being a techwriter.