Re: Agile software development and effect on techwriting

Subject: Re: Agile software development and effect on techwriting
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: quills -at- airmail -dot- net, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:33:45 -0500

quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote:

Oh, I worked at a place where we usually had extra time. The V.P. of Engineering told the CEO that they could put a Window overlay on our flagship product, a DOS HVAC control suite. I told my boss that it would only take a year and a half to write new, clean code for Windows.

A year and a half later, the Windows overlay (version 1.0) is released under pressure, with half the features that were available in the DOS version, and of those features, about 1/4 were buggy, didn't function as required, or were unreliable in function.

We actually had to remove sections from our manuals (three of the suckers) to keep pace with the devlopment team. We had 6 months of do nothing but remove information.

The development continued like that for the next 5 years. The TW's never had to worry about deadlines, the release never made its deadline. QA kept sending release candidates back until they actually had working features that worked.

Are they still in business?

--
Peter

Sisyphus had it easy