Another question for the Word mavens

Subject: Another question for the Word mavens
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:44:22 -0800 (PST)

I've looked around the MS Word support site and found
nothing on this so far: My copy of Word 2002 (XP) has
started showing a new and peculiar behavior. After I
open a file, the first time I regenerate a TOC or
table of figures, Word hangs until I press the <ESC>
key. While it is hung it does not display the message
box that has the options to update the entire table or
only page numbers. It is apparently doing the
regeneration, because when I press the key I can see
the changes in the TOC/TOF. This only happens the
first time I regenerate after opening the file -
subsequent regenerations do not hang, and do display
the message box. This behavior first appeared a few
weeks ago. I have made no changes to my software on
this computer for months, other than installing MS
security patches (which I suspect are the root of the
problem).

Has anyone seen anything like this, and does anyone
have any idea how to fix this?