Re: STC.org

Subject: Re: STC.org
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:35:45 -0800

"Steven Brown" <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:225194 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I recently watched a team of 10-15 technical writers
> design their own intranet site and was surprised at
> how bad the final product was. In their defence, they
> were using a .NET tool, which dictated certain
> structural elements on their design, but the final
> product didn't meet anyone's needs.

That many in our profession and not one spoke up to point out (a) that the
tool might not be the right one for the particular job or (b) that user
needs needed to drive the design from the very start?

> For all the time we TWs spend on our soapboxes
> demanding influence in UI design, most of us have a
> long way to go to earn the experience and credibility
> we truly need. I'm fortunate right now to work with
> three UI designers whose depth and breadth of
> knowledge blows me away. I offer my opinions about our
> UI as little more than a typical end-user, while they
> make their decisions based on significant experience
> and independent study.

Were I working in a place where interaction designers were a part of the
team. Heaven! (Heck, were I working at all right now...)

In their absences, a part of interaction design is making sure the product
communicates correctly its function as an inherent part of its design. How
is that not technical communication? The disciplines overlap. When I offer
my Ui input, it is not onlly from and end-user perspective, it it also is
from all that I've been able to learn about the topic.

If I ever were to find a good, stable job, one of my goals is to get a
graduate degree in HCI. As I recall, Stanford has such a program.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf