How to continue caption numbering when document is split into multiple files

Subject: How to continue caption numbering when document is split into multiple files
From: "Diana Lartigue" <dlartigue -at- dpro -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:35:58 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have a chapter in Word 2000 that I have split into 5 separate documents.
These files contain figure captions that have auto numbering. How do I like
the documents so that the figure numbering will CONTINUE from the previous
document rather than restart at 1? I created a master document, but the
caption numbering is not recognizing this. Do I need to "link" my files
somehow?
Thanks

diana