Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist?

Subject: Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:27:59 -0500

Geoff Hart wrote:
> For the past couple weeks, I've found that an increasing proportion of
> the mail I send from my service provider (Videotron.ca) is being
> rejected as spam by other service providers, most notably those used by
> colleagues in government and at universities. The one constant: each of
> their service providers subscribes to a blacklist service.

You don't have to send email from your ISP. You can send email from an
external hosting provider instead.

For example, I host a few domains on pair.com. My ISP is my local cable
company, but I don't use their smtp server to send email - I use an smtp
server provided by pair.com. Or you can even set up an smtp server locally,
as long as your ISP doesn't block the port.

You can probably use the smtp server provided with the free hosting accounts
at 1and1.com (I haven't tried this, but it should work). Hurry though, their
offer of 3 years free expires next week.

Anyway, it's not a bad idea to have your own domain name hosted separately
from your ISP - that way you can switch ISPs whenever you want, without
changing your email address. Among other advantages.

Don't sweat the blacklisters, just move on.

good luck

Mike O.