RE: Word tips (was "Word XP Graphics Page Margins")

Subject: RE: Word tips (was "Word XP Graphics Page Margins")
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:22:44 -0800

Hi David

Okay, I was overstating a bit ;-))

I find that the most common misuse of tabs is to align information that
is best put in a table... is more stable in a table ... and stability
over time and with different users and computers is what we need. A
change of font or even font size or even the "same" font on a different
machine can throw those things out. And even one record out of alignment
in a set can mean people are seeing the wrong info without perhaps
realizing it. And god save me from people who tab their columns and then
just keep on tabbing to get to the next line!

Styles take care of the need for tabs most everywhere else. If you've
only got one table, who cares. Most of the long documents I work with
have dozens.

Oh, and I only send out for final printing a very carefully reviewed PDF
of the Word document, not the source file. I've heard of ways to keep
Word from getting too intimate with each printer it meets but I'd be
afraid to put that to the test in the crunch.

Short one-off docs? Guilty of everything I advise not to do!

:-) Laurel

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

-

> NO TABS. EVER.

Gotta disagree. I know of no problem associated with the use of tabs.