Word is tricking me ... Table of contents headache

Subject: Word is tricking me ... Table of contents headache
From: "Elizabeth OShea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:47:10 -0000

I've no clever Word trick to share, but I'd love to know why Word has
decided to autonumber ToC1 and ToC2 when it generates a ToC for me. None of
my headings are autonumbered (autonumbering = work of evil), but Word adds
in autonumbering.

Fixes and amusing stories about ToCs welcome (but you may want to send them
to me privately!). I'd also appreciate any pointers to a good ToC tutorial,
online or in print. It seems to me that the ToC feature makes up the rules
as it goes along. I hope this isn't true, and I know there's a publication
somewhere that will solve my problems.

This is a huge issue for me at the moment, because I'm retrofitting existing
documents with ToCs. For some reason previous writers didn't think we needed
them. I suspect it's because they didn't want to deal with the ToC feature
in Word.

elizabeth

Elizabeth OShea
Documentation