Re: What I want to say....

Subject: Re: What I want to say....
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:21:28 -0800

"Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com> wrote in message
news:225802 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I say definitely write what you want and rant about the position. Just
> follow these steps to ensure a "win-win":
>
> 1. Type the vitriolic note in Notepad or some other text editor first (so
> you do not hit <send> by accident - just some personal experience here).
>
> 2. Print it out and read to ensure it contains all the vehemence that you
> can muster.
>
> 3. Take solace in the fact that you not only vented, but that you also
waxed
> eloquent.
>
> 4. Throw the letter in the garbage and never send it.
>
> I am actually quite serious about the above. If you feel the need to write
> such a letter, by all means write it and get it out of your system istead
of
> letting those feelings and irritations sit and fester. But I don't think
> you'd really want to send such a letter, as it will definitely get you off
> of the 'call-back' list.
>
> After you go through the above stress-relieving exercise (which is all it
> is), write a letter (assuming you are applying for the position) and talk
> about how your experience has direct relevance to their requirements. The
> job requriements may just be a wish list written to weed out the "I can
> write my name in Word, therefore I can be a tech writer" applicant.

Substitute "TECHWR-L" for "Notepad" and you've hit the sequence right on,
with the exception that Techwhirlers provide far, far better feedback that
the garbage can. :)

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf