Re: What I want to say....

Subject: Re: What I want to say....
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:32:47 -0800

<kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com> wrote in message news:225808 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Challenging demands and unrealistic expectations - aren't those our stock
> in trade?
>
> With your attitude, you won't get the gig. Nobody's going to hire somebody
> who tells them why what they want can't be done.
>
> Bosses hire people who offer solutions. This boss has a problem. Whether
> you want to take on the task of helping him or her solve it is up to you.
> With your background, I'd say go for it.
>
> If you really think the job can't be done, give it a miss. But if you
> think you can do as good a job as any, take a shot. Particularly in
> software, sometimes just getting SOMETHING done within the deadline is
> better than the alternative: getting NOTHING done.
>
> Good luck either way. And be happy you're forewarned. As somebody else
> noted, this job description give you a MUCH better idea of what you're in
> for than most. Far more often, people get hired for jobs that seem
> reasonable, and then get demands like this dropped on them out of the
> blue. I know I have!

I think *something* could be done in 3 months, but not all they seem to want
(at least, not by one person, even working 12 hour days 7 days a week).
That's why I leaned against applying, and why I vented here.

And I've taken up some challenges in my time--as have many of us. I've
worked the long hours. I've endured--and responded to--major changes just
before product release (and after final doc deadlines).

But I disagree with one thing. I'm not convinced that doing "something"
within a deadline is necessarily better than nothing at all because that
"something" is likely to be less than accurate, ridden with gaps, and
resulting in user frustration and higher support costs. Unless your company
has a captive audience, the long-term result could very well be reduced
sales and profits.

Bringing in the missing pieces of a development team at the last minute (its
not just tech writers) is penny wish but pound foolish.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf