Re: Users writing their own procedures

Subject: Re: Users writing their own procedures
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: Eileen Neumann <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:58:13 -0800 (PST)

Eileen,

I, too, would not suggest Front Page. If possible, I'd even strongly suggest to them that they *not* format the instructions beyond numbering the steps they believe are reasonable.

I might suggest that they do screen captures with some simple tool so you can refer to them as you read through their suggested instructions. If you upon "fixing them up" can follow the instructions as written or with relatively minor editing, all is well. Throw it into your HTML editor of choice and have at it.

I find that most folks' ideas of formatting are more trouble to correct than to do it myself in projects like this. Rather than spend so much of my time *undoing* things that are otherwise hopeless, I much prefer to spend my time doing it to begin with, in a consistent and effective format that matches the rest of the site.

Plus, although I haven't looked at the very latest edition of Front Page, the others I have seen can badly mangle the HTML...and correcting *that* is truly a pain!

David

-----Original Message from Eileen Neumann <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>-----

Hi Whirlers,

I maintain an employee intranet that holds banking procedures. Another
division has decided that they need their procedures to go online as well.
As my department doesn't have the resources to start documenting these
other procedures from scratch, the powers that be have decided to have an
experienced user document the procedures and have me fix them up
afterwards.