Expressing percentages

Subject: Expressing percentages
From: "Peter Desjardins" <peter -dot- desjardins -at- oakgroup -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:00:45 -0500

I am writing column labels for a reporting tool and I need to describe complex percentages very concisely.

The percentages are complex because it takes many words to describe them accurately. For example: "the percentage of male, eyeglass-wearing, students who are nearsighted." Using "% Nearsighted" doesn't work because it doesn't specify the denominator (male eyeglass-wearing students as opposed to female eyeglass-wearing students or to all students).

Due to space concerns, the wordy explanation can't be used. I need a shorthand convention for expressing percentages. Here are the current proposals:

[numerator] / [denominator] %

Nearsighted / Male with Glasses %

% [denominator] - [numerator]

% Male with Glasses - Nearsighted

Does anyone know of a conventional style for expressing these percentages? Am I overlooking a simpler approach?

Thank you.

Peter Desjardins
The Oak Group
Wellesley, MA USA