RE: document versioning

Subject: RE: document versioning
From: Maritza van den Heuvel <MaritzaV -at- stt-global -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:35:01 +0200

Hi Tim,

FWIW, I do all my technical documentation in the single-sourcing tool
AuthorIT, which has built-in version control on all its objects (this
includes file objects, styles, templates, media, content topics etc.). I
only publish to Word/HTML Help/WinHElp as needed, so all my version history
on content edits is maintained in AuthorIT itself.

On our development side, though, Visual SourceSafe is used for code
versioning, and I generally check my final published versions in and out of
VSS to synchronize with their builds. This is not ideal, since there are
numerous known issues regarding VSS and especially Word (there's a whole
issue surrounding fast-saves not being picked up by VSS 6.0). I just do it
that way to keep development happy. ;-) It's also an easy way to ensure a
central repository for final documentation. If they weren't already using
VSS for code versioning, I could just as easily use a central network
location for my published versions.

HTH

Maritza

***

Maritza van den Heuvel
Technical Writer

Software Training Technology (Pty) Limited
http://www.stt-global.com
The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation are
confidential and any use thereof, in whatever form, by anyone other than the
addressee for whom it is intended, is strictly prohibited. Views and
opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of STT.