Re: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef?

Subject: Re: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:04:45 -0500

John Posada wrote:
> Hi, guys...just got back from a spin around the floor of the
> LinuxWorld show in NYC.

I wish I could have made it... thanks for the trip report.

> I found almost no vendors with applications for creating new stuff,
> almost no content management or authoring.

All that stuff is free in the Linux world. There aren't any "vendors." OK,
maybe some. But all that stuff you mentioned is available as open-source. In
fact, the hottest tools for "creating new stuff" now are from Jakarta (no,
that's not the latest offshoring destination :-)

> Everything was monitoring
> Linux, intrusion detection, database replication, usage monitoring.

This is what sells in the Linux world. Linux is still mostly about servers,
not apps... so it makes sense that the tradeshow focuses on admin tools.

Mike O.