Re: document versioning

Subject: Re: document versioning
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:26:32 -0800 (PST)

> Yes, when you store a binary file (such as a Word
> document) in a version control system, you get a
> copy of the whole file, and so versioning binaries
> is going to consume more disk space than versioning
> ascii files, but so what?

Eep!!!

> When you consider that you can purchase all the disk
> space you'll ever need for less than a day's pay,
> the trade-off certainly seems like a no-brainer to
> me. <g>

Well... ;)

Wait for it...

Ready?

;)

IT DEPENDS!!!

LOL!

Yes, space is cheap. No, space isn't unlimited in all
situations. If you use a Storage Area Network that
pre-dates 2000, you're most-likely going to hit a
storage cap. And, when you do, the cost of migrating
that to a newer system can be overwhelming, to say the
least.

> Some systems, such as StarTeam, allow you to
> specify the total number of binary versions to
> store, then, as a new one gets saved, the oldest
> one drops off the bottom of the stack.

True, but then you have to take extra steps to retain
an important older version that might need saving.

> On the up side, however, when you mention to the VP
> of Engineering or the Director of Development that
> you need to begin versioning your documentation,
> you garner an extra layer of respect in their eyes.

LOL! Not always. In fact, a high-ranking
engineer/manager *should* reply to the tune of "Your
work is in binary... you'll chew up all our space! No
way!" Or better, "Does that mean you're ready to
harness XML, go ascii, and ditch your tools?"

> Also, you have a record of when you added or
> deleted a feature description, etc.

Only if you log it, and only if you check it in
frequently enough to warrant a detailed enough checkin
comment.

> 2. File storage in a system that is guaranteed to be
> backed up on a regular basis.

I get that without a versioning system.

> 3. Mechanisms that allow only one person to edit
> documents and store new versions at a time
> (preventing accidental loss of work because two
> people are working on a file at the same time.

I get that right within FrameMaker.

</devil's advocate>

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

We can't all be as creative with sigs as krautgrrl. ;-)

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/