Re: texas tech university online graduate program/experience

Subject: Re: texas tech university online graduate program/experience
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:40:40 -0800

nhancock -at- mindspring -dot- com wrote:

Hello
I am a two-time graduate of Georgia State University ( Atl, Ga) who is
interested in the online Tech Communications grad program at Texas Tech
University. GSU does not have a formal program in Techical
Communications, so I've taken classes (enough to complete two B.A.'s) to
compensate. Unfortunately, I lack the experience necessary to succeed in
the field. If anyone has any suggestions for experience (pay is good, but
not necessary..I have a job) and comments on the program at TTU, I'd be
grateful.
Confused as ever...
Neshieka Hancock
nhancock -at- mindspring -dot- com

Your basic problem is one shared by many more experienced tech writers: too many writers, not enough jobs. I've done this stuff off an on for 20 years (full time for the last 5) and I've *never* seen such a bad job market.

Your idea of accumulating more academic credentials is a good one. (The quality of Texas Tech program probably matters less than the fact that it's an MA program from a respectable Uni.) You should also look at other ways to demonstrate your skills: get some technical certificates (the CCNA is said to be pretty easy, and the required networking knowledge is worth having in any case), write magazine articles, a short book (even if you can't get it published, you can print out a copy, which looks impressive to hiring managers), volunteer to write content for open source projects... You get the idea.