Re: M$ @ it again!!!

Subject: Re: M$ @ it again!!!
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:57:04 -0500

k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote on 01/27/2004 10:28:10 AM:
> We need a new stripper.  There are programs out there
> that will clean up HTML written by MS applications -
> they strip the proprietary tags out and leave standard
> HTML notation in its place.  I suggest anyone
> interested in working with MS XML documents start
> looking for a program that will do the same for XML.

I'm not sure what it is that MS is trying to patent. Seems it might be the
parser application.

If you release the Schema and DTD, there's nothing you can do to stop
others from accessing your XML documents.

A stripper makes sense for HTML as HTML has defined standard tags. XML lets
you define your own tags. No such thing as stripping to a 'standard' XML.
The Schema, XSL, read/write rules are how your application interprets and
processes an XML file. Given the XML output of MSWord, and the appropriate
XSL, schema for you application would be your "stripper".

A stripper would make sense only in the case of trying to deliver to a
standard XML DTD. Say you are using a custom DTD or an extended Docbook
DTD. Then to deliver to others for use in a standard Docbook application,
you'd need to first translate between the custom DTD/structure and Docbook
or remove/translate any extended structure.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer