re: Profile

Subject: re: Profile
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:55:04 -0800

Quoting Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>:

> Do people have experience with this? Am I just paranoid? I do usually wind up
> in rare and weird catagories on such tests, so maybe I just expect to be
> marginalized for strangeness. Not that my employers can't figure out I'm
> pretty strange all by themselves.

Almost all this testing is a scam. It gives an aura of science to the decision-
making process, and nothing more. So far as I know, there is no objective
evidence (that is, any study done by someone who isn't promoting the use of
these tests) that shows that any such testing results in more suitable hires
than unaided decision-making. In some cases, the success isn't even
significantly hirer than you would get by random-chance.

Not only that, but the versions of these tests used in business arealmost
always watered down and often outdated versions of what is being used in pure
research. Therefore, even if the original versions of the tests have any
validity, generally the ones used in business do not.

Personally, I think that people have every right to object to being measured by
such rubber rulers.
--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177