Re: RoboHelp and documentation plans

Subject: Re: RoboHelp and documentation plans
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: Technical Writers List <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:40:53 +1000

Alicia Robinson wrote,

I am working on developing an on-line Help system using RoboHelp.
I see that RoboHelp has a feature that allows you to track topics
individually. (You can keep track of which topics are complete, which need
to be reviewed, generate project status reports, etc.)
Do RoboHelp users find this feature sufficient for tracking topics, or do
you additionally (or alternatively) use a written documentation plan?

A documentation plan isn't the same thing as "tracking topics," unless you mean something entirely different from what I mean by the term "plan." The plan says what you're going to do, how, when, and so on, and probably includes specifications for the help. The plan probably also includes a spreadsheet of what's supposed to be done when and by whom. The RoboHelp feature might be sufficient to replace the spreadsheet (I don't know; I've never used it), but you still need the rest of the plan. Or did I misunderstand you?

BTW, my book "Editing Online Help" includes several chapters on documentation plans and specifications for online help projects.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Editing Online Help, a tool-independent introduction to
planning, developing, and editing online help systems. For a table of
contents, go to: http://www.jeanweber.com/books/olhbk.htm