Making an eps with no background: desperate plea for help?

Subject: Making an eps with no background: desperate plea for help?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, Elizabeth OShea <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:18:12 -0500

Elizabeth OShea wondered: <<I have a psd image. I need to save it as an eps. No matter what we do, when we (both my manager and I have been trying!) save it, white fills the space between the image itself and the virtual rectangular box the image is in. So when we place the image into an illustrator file, there are white edges around it that we can't get rid of.>>

If memory serves, the problem is that PostScript (the language behind EPS) doesn't support transparency. So the only solution to your problem is to fill the background around your image with the same color as the background the image will appear on top of. Alternatively, choose a different image format (such as GIF) that supports transparency.

Another solution involves clipping paths: If you can select the image and delete everything that lies outside the main image area (i.e., the white background that is causing you grief), you can partially solve the problem--but areas inside the clipped area that should be transparent will still be white unless you specifically assign them a color.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca