Am I asking too much of Word?

Subject: Am I asking too much of Word?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:26:49 -0700

I'm not anti-Word, and am pretty adept with it. But I'm hitting a brick
wall.

I'm creating a document (.doc) that other non-expert-Word-users will use
as a template (for practical purposes, not literally a .dot file) for new
technical documents. Yes, I know the peril with which this task is
fraught.

My goals are relatively simple, so I figured I could pull it off, Word
guru that I am. Here's all I want:

? Outline-numbered headings (4 levels)
? Heirarchical bulleted lists created by clicking the Bullets icon on the
toolbar (made hierarchical with the Increase Indent icon on the toolbar)
? Numbered lists (regular, not outline) created by clicking the Numbering
icon. Ideally, I'd like these lists to always start at 1, even if there
are other lists earlier in the document. And again, I want levels of
hierarchy, created by clicking the Increase Indent icon.

Can't do it.

When I get the numbered lists looking good, the Heading numbers disappear.
When I have outline numbering working in the headings, the first level of
numbered lists comes out in the style of the nearest previous heading.

I'd pull my hair out, but I shave my head. So I turn to you. Can this be
done?

And yes, I know real pros don't use the Bullets or Numbering icons - they
use styles. But that's not how my users use Word. So I'm trying to create
something for them, not me.

Thanks in advance!

Keith Cronin
I'd be a lot better known if more people knew how famous I was.