Re: MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields

Subject: Re: MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: Wendy_Secrist -at- selinc -dot- com
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:54:29 -0500

Wendy_Secrist -at- selinc -dot- com writes:

1. Insert > Caption
2. Apply a paragraph style to the whole caption, which changes the font
from bold Times Roman to regular Arial.
3. I apply a new character style to the Figure xx part, which is set to
apply only the bold property.
4. I insert a cross-reference to the caption (Insert > Cross reference).
The cross-reference text is bold.

Rather than using Insert > Caption, you can customize a numbered outline list:
1. Format > Bullets and Numbering > Outline Numbered
2. Click Customize
3. Before the autonumber in the Number Format field, type Figure; after the autonumber, replace the bracket with a colon.
4. Click the Font button and make the appropriate choices and click ok.
5. In the Link Level to Style field, choose No Style.
6. In the Follow Number With field, choose Tab or Space. (This last step might not be necessary.)
7. Click ok. Figure 1: appears in your doc in bold; what you type after it is in unbolded text.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3